In the geriatric community, physical rehabilitation is based on task optimization. As we age, our bodies undergo wear and tear. While this phase is natural, it often contributes to pain and impairment which causes patients to restrict their activity or quit doing what they enjoy. In order to help the elderly person gain trust in remaining healthy, geriatric physical therapy has been shown to be successful in enhancing energy, stability, and balance.
How does geriatric rehabilitation help?
The geriatric rehabilitation includes a wide range of treatments and medical help for a variety of ailments that the aged face.
- One of the major problems that geriatrics deal with is a decrease in movement. Earlier, stiffness in the joints and aches and pains were taken as part and parcel of getting old. But these days, with joint replacement procedures, and physical therapy the aged can’t get past these problems.
- Loss of hearing and vision can be addressed these days with simple procedures like laser treatment, advanced hearing aids, etc., that help restore or at least better eyesight and hearing.
- There are specialized dieticians for geriatrics who will prescribe a food plan that includes foods and supplements to ensure that they are getting all the nutrients their body requires.
- As a person ages, small activities like eating or bathing become difficult. Occupational therapy focuses on helping the aged stay independent. The goal is to help them learn to help themselves.
- The awareness among doctors and the aged that geriatric mental health needs to be addressed is a boon to the aged. Counseling is available for older people and this can help them adjust to a difference in lifestyle.
Our Physical Therapy Geriatric Rehab Programs Includes:
- Improve mobility, strength, and endurance.
- Increase functional skills.
- Reduce pain, stiffness, and discomfort.
- Improve knowledge and understanding of the disease process.
- Improve the quality of life.
- Nutrition assessment and education to decrease inflammation.*
- Body mechanics assessment and education.
- Fall prevention and balance training.|
- Back pain management.
- Back stabilization and strengthening.
- Aerobic exercise and posture re-education.
- Weight-bearing exercises.
- Patient education.
- ADL retraining.
- Pain management.
- Range of motion.
- Strength training.
- Balance training.
- Use of assistive devices.
- Proprioception (position sense).
- Scar management.
- Resuming functional lifestyle activities.
Urinary and Fecal Incontinence
- External and internal evaluation of the lumbosacral and pelvic floor musculature.
- Food diary and diet modifications/education; fluid intake
- Reeducation, stimulation, and preparation of pelvic floor muscles using biofeedback.
- A comprehensive home fitness plan for continued care of patients.
- Bladder preparation, and correct voiding methods teaching/preparation.
- Instruction on appropriate fecal evacuation position and bathroom strategies.
- Smooth electrical stimulation to re-educate and strengthen the pelvic floor.
- Rectal Balloon training.
Balance and Fall Prevention
- Physical appraisal.
- Assessment of the risk factors related to crashes.
- Individualized fitness and workout schedule.
- Personal risk management and strategies for the avoidance of falling down.
- Identification of assistive device needs (cane, walker, etc.) and device training.
- Improve the symptoms, mobility, and balance in order to improve functional status.
- Educate on compensatory strategies and instruct on a home exercise program.
- Provide suggestions for environmental and home modifications for fall prevention and safety awareness.
Program for Parkinson’s Disease
- Faster walking with bigger steps.
- Better balance.
- Increased flexibility of trunk.
- Improvement of daily activities, such as mobility in beds.
- Increased UPDRS motor score.
Our Geriatric Care Solutions & Management in Physio Rehab Care
The geriatric services provided by our Physio Rehab Care focus completely on geriatric health and rehabilitation. We take a holistic approach to the health and wellness of the aged. We have regular medical check-ups for older people and a complete and comprehensive battery of tests that will keep an eye on the person’s health so that preventive action can be taken at the first sign of an illness. This is a boon to the patients as they can live their life comfortably in the knowledge that their health is in safe hands.